Information Technology Specialist
Would you be interested in:
- Planning and coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of hardware and software systems.
- The planning, analysis, design, development, testing, quality assurance, configuration, installation, implementation, integration, maintenance, and/or management of networked systems used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video formats.
- Ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
- The design, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation, and support of new or existing applications software.
- The planning, development, implementation, and administration of systems for the acquisition, storage, and retrieval of data.
What you need to know:IT Specialists typically have a degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or Information Systems Management or they may have a degree in a field such as Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research or Engineering where there is a heavy concentration of computer science/information science coursework. Candidates may also qualify based on experience in the Information Technology field.
Listed below are examples of the kinds of courses they would expect to see listed in the transcript of someone who applies for either a IT specialist or computer scientist position.
- C Programming
- Introduction to UNIX
- Database Management Systems
- C++ and Elementary Data Structures
- Object Oriented Technology
- Microcomputer Applications
- Information Systems Development
- Introduction to COBOL
- Introduction to Discrete Structures
- Data Structures
- Database Design and Applications
- Software Design and Development
- Software Testing
- Software Engineering
- Human Factors in Software Development
- Computer Organization
- Logic Design of Digital Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Communication Systems
- Communication Networks
- Network Administration
- UNIX Systems Administration
- Internet and Other Networks
- Internet/Intranet Development
- Data Encryption and Security